Introduction to Solar Panel Installation Norfolk
Installing solar panels at your home allows you to cash in on the Massachusetts solar incentives scheme and reduce your energy bills by 50%.
In This Guide:
- How does solar energy work?
- Solar Panel Installation
- What are the pros and cons?
- Residential solar panel information
- Can I get solar panels for my business?
How Does Solar Energy Work?
Solar panels require light, not heat, so work well in the Norfolk climate, and they still produce energy in cloudy conditions. Solar PV cells turn light from the sun into DC electricity and then an inverter is used to convert this into AC electricity. The electricity is then fed into your home through a meter for you to power your appliances.
The free electricity is automatically used in your property when there is demand for electricity. During periods where the supply from the solar panels exceeds demand, the spare electricity is sold back to the grid. Electricity from the grid will still be used during periods, such as night time, where energy demand exceeds the amount being generated by the solar panels.
By powering your home with free electricity from the solar panels, you should expect to save around 50% on your energy bills.
Solar Panel Installation
An increasing number of Norfolk homeowners and businesses are installing solar panels to significantly reduce energy bills and cash in on the California solar initiative scheme.
Whilst the solar initiative scheme has reduced over the last few years, so too has the cost of installing solar panels. This means solar panels still deliver a healthy return on investment. Solar energy storage is also helping to increase the return on investment.
Installation of solar panels is relatively quick; most domestic solar installations can be completed in just one day. Once you have decided to install solar panels, you will want to compare quotes from at least two or three accredited solar companies Norfolk to ensure you are getting the best deal.
The Pros and Cons of Solar Energy
- Cash in on the Masachusetts solar incentive scheme – If you install solar panels using an accredited installer you will be eligible for for the solar incentive scheme which pays you up to $8,080 over 20 years for producing renewable energy.
- Reduce energy bills – Installing solar panels will also allow you to reduce your energy bills by around 50% as you can use the electricity generated by the solar panels to power your property’s appliances free of charge.
- Protect from rising energy bills – As well as reducing your energy bills, solar panels will also protect you from rising energy costs. Over the next 20 years, energy bills are expected to increase significantly so powering your home with free electricity will limit the impact rising energy costs will have on your household’s budget.
- Environmentally friendly – Solar panels produce renewable energy so will help significantly reduce your environmental impact. By installing solar panels you can reduce your CO2 output by up to 40 tonnes over 25 years.
- High initial cost – Although you can expect a strong return on investment from solar panels, installing them requires a large payment upfront to pay for the solar panels. Solar panels can cost between $2,500 and $9,000.
- Requires space – Solar panels require adequate space on a roof that is shade free. Some properties may not have a big enough roof to install the desired size of solar panel system. That said, most homes in Norfolk are suitable for solar panels so this shouldn’t be an issue for most.
Residential Solar Panels Information
Most homes in Norfolk are suitable for solar panels; around 10 – 12 million homes are classified as ‘very suitable’ yet only around 500,000 have them currently. If you have a South, West, or East facing roof that is angled between 10 and 60 degrees, solar panels are likely to generate a significant amount of electricity.
Most homes don’t need to get planning permission for solar panels unless it’s a listed building or located in a conservation area. It’s always worth checking with your installer if you are unsure.
The Massachusetts solar incentive scheme makes installing solar panels a lucrative investment, with homeowners able to earn up to $8,080 tax free for producing solar power. The average domestic property will require a solar panel sized between 1kW and 4kW, which typically costs between $2,500 and $9,000.
Can I get solar panels for my business?
Solar panels can be a wise investment for businesses; they allow them to power their office with free energy, reduce their energy bills, cash in on the Massachusetts solar incentive scheme and show their customers that they are environmentally friendly.
Whilst the solar incentive scheme has reduced over the last few years, the cost of solar panels has also reduced. This means businesses can still expect a healthy return on investment by installing solar panels at their premises.
Large scale solar projects provide the opportunity to make significant earnings for the owners and power many thousands of homes. Typical commercial solar projects are located in open fields or on top of large buildings, such as warehouses or factories.
For more information on solar power installation Norfolk
Solar Panels - Costs Vs Benefits
Considering solar to power your home? Want to know how much it will really costs? Depending on your plans and goals, there are different types of solar system, with differing costs.
• Water heating solar systems are the least expensive.
• Air heating solar panels are mid-range in cost.
• Photovoltaic solar panels for electricity are the most expensive type.
To compare, a solar item could be used to generate the energy needed to power a water heater for a small apartment. The estimated cost for these solar systems would be $100 to $3,500. To heat water for a larger townhouse with a swimming pool, the cost would be from $3,500 to $7,000. And for a detached, full sized home, about 2500 square feet, the cost would be from $7,000 $10,000.
There are other financial considerations when planning your system. Depending upon where you live, you may be eligible for tax credits or even rebates. You will have lower utility bills. And if your solar system generates more energy than you consume, you may be able to sell the access to your local utility company. And while the solar power industry is still relatively young, there are used solar panels available at lower costs.
Best Solar Panels
If you want to purchase solar panels in order to cut your electricity bills down, then you are in for a big surprise. Although solar energy technology is widely used, the cost of solar panels has not come down. This is primarily because the technology is moving so fast. The solar cells used just five years ago are not longer effective enough to warrant their manufacture.
Why Consider Panels
While it extremely expensive to invest in solar energy, the long term benefits are not just financial. The cost of running a home increases year on year. Just the cost of running water and electricity is eating into the money that used to be used for personal enjoyment. These increases are not going to end and we can see a future already where reliance on fossil fuel is going to result in everyone having to pay more than they can afford.
How Long Can Off Grid Power Last
Any well built solar system will ensure that you continue to have power, even when outages occur, for up to several days even when you don't have much sunlight. Storage for such an off the grid system is in batteries and ensures you have power through even the worst weather.
Besides the obvious returns from the free energy generated, solar panels are also becoming profitable additions to any home increasing the value of the home should you wish to sell on.